Monday 28 May 2012

Adonia Cruise Part 6 - Portofino


After the noise and heat of Rome, today’s tender port of Portofino was bliss.  It was another glorious morning as we woke to the sound of the anchor being dropped and the tenders lowered from outside our window.

After breakfast out on the stern deck again we set off ashore, this time remembering to get tender tickets! Once again this port was new to me and I was not disappointed.  The sun was shining on the ochre-coloured buildings with their faded green shutters as we motored into the harbour. 


The water was so clear that dozens of different fish could be seen swimming around in the harbour – almost like an aquarium. After a wander through the main area together,  Caryll set off to explore further round the headland and I pottered about the town, stopping for the obligatory gelato (2.80 euros) and later on a small beer at a pretty café overlooking the harbour. I bought a sun dress (I hadn’t packed for this heat!) and then round about 1pm I took the tender back to the ship. Also anchored in the harbour was Sea Cloud II – a five-star, new-build three-masted tall ship carrying 96 passengers, who were being tendered ashore alongside us.
At the sailaway they were playing music and offered a free drink to anyone who could name the 1970s commercial one tune was used for. I knew it was Old Spice and so both Caryll and I got a free cocktail of the day!  Another delicious dinner but one thing I have noticed though is that the sommelier doesn’t come around with post-dinner liqueurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment