Sunday 29 December 2013

Queen Mary 2 to Xmas markets - day 3


Unusually for such a short cruise - today we have a sea day so first - a lovely lie-in – till 8.30am anyway, as my friend wanted to queue for planetarium tickets while I went on the internet with my free 4 hours.  I was happy to go with the flow today. I watched a demonstration of making chocolate Santas and was able to pass my card to the Executive Chef in hope of some information for our next book. 


At 11am it was the solo travellers meet in King’s Court. Initially it was just me, Jessica the social hostess, and the six dance hosts. They all seemed very nice and - miracle of miracles as I discovered that night - could dance English style ballroom and latin dances! Hooray! My friend and I met up there and went up late to the Cruise Critic meet – four were still there so we had a short chat. Then to lunch. In the afternoon I even managed a short nap on the balcony – well wrapped up. It's not often we have the luxury of a balcony so I was determined to make the most of it! At 3pm we both joined the long queue for the White Glove Afternoon Tea. I guess the queue was because we only really had the one opportunity to sample this. A string quartet played as we were served delicate sandwiches, cakes and lastly scones and jam!

Due to poor weather reports, we were arriving in Le Havre at 6pm, so after tea we went up to the observation deck to watch us berth. It was pouring with rain but fortunately this deck is right under the bridge and very sheltered. Le Havre looked lovely as dusk fell and the lights of the shops and Xmas markets shone through the rain. There was a floodlit big wheel as well.

 
 
By the time we had berthed it was time to go change for dinner. It was our only formal night and we wanted to get to dinner early so we could choose our seats by the window. After a cocktail in Sir Samuels we wandered down to the Britannia Restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment