Friday 19 October 2012

Day two and three of my Caribbean Cruise


We are enroute to Madeira. As the Portuguese dockers are on strike. P&O have swapped round Ponta Delgada and Madeira so we will have a full day in Funchal. It’s been very lazy day but that is normal for me on the first full day. Last night was quite bumpy and we were asked to secure any loose items in the cabin. Unfortunatley – having availed myself of the buy 5 – get 1 free 2l bottles of water, there was nowhere really to put them except inside an empty drawer, but then that kept opening and shutting.

This morning was better than the forecast, but Oriana is still pitching with the occasional roll. We are speeding at 22 knots and are three quarters of the way through the BoB. Although very windy, it isn’t cold if you choose the right spot. It’s Smart tonight with the Captain’s Welcome party tomorrow, when the weather is supposed to have improved a lot.


I popped into the Conservatory for some sandwiches at teatime as I had skipped lunch, then sat out for a little before returning to my cabin to get ready for dinner. The dining room is still quite empty but it may be that the weather is keeping some in their cabins.  After dinner three of us went to see the Johnson Brothers in the Theatre Royal. One disadvantage of these new cabins is that they are right over the Pacific Lounge and the noise is carrying up through, but it shouldn’t go on much longer.

The semi formal night (sorry – smart), was very well observed, most people wearing what would have been semi-formal under the old terminology. There is also a distinct lack of wheelchairs and mobility scooters. I appreciate many people need them, but it is so nice not be run down every few moments!

Day 3
En route to Madeira still and the weather has improved dramatically. There are still occasional light showers but the sun is very hot and the seas calmer.  Got up around 8.30 and headed to the Conservatory for breakfast. At the solo coffee morning a few different people turned up and there were around 21 people there. I decided to play in the shuffleboard tournament – the first time I have played in nearly 30 years! My partner and I won the first match but lost the next. Still we should get better as we go on. After a delicious light lunch of dressed crab in its shell and salad I have been sitting on the prom deck up till now but was getting too hot.   It is the Captain’s welcome party tonight so will sort myself out later.

It was a very enjoyable Welcome Party. As I was getting ready there was a knock at the door and a steward with canapés which was lovely. Everyone in the Oriental Restaurant was in the Pacific Lounge for the Party, the Peninsular Restaurant people were in the Crow’s Nest. We were welcomed in by the Deputy Captain, but the Captain joined us all later for his speech – mostly about Hurricane Nadine !!! I chatted to the Front of House Manager who was pleased to see me so she could organise a book signing in a few days time. Then to the Gala Dinner – game terrine, lobster and maple walnut ice cream for me. I want to be up early for the sail into Funchal so have decided on an early night. After Funchal we have five sea days so can relax again then.

No comments:

Post a Comment