Wednesday 14 November 2012

Oriana - A run of sea days


We are back crossing the Atlantic - this time heading east. t has been a very lazy day. I still woke early so got up at 7.30 and had breakfast in the Conservatory and then found a steamer chair on the prom deck and lazed in the sun for a couple of hours. Because there were a couple of very short showers and a lovely breeze, it was very comfortable out on deck, unlike the previous week. I then went in to browse the sales tables and have lunch in the Peninsular Restaurant. The clocks are going back an hour at lunchtimes so all too soon it was 2.45 and I had missed the afternoon shuffleboard!  I decided to go back to my cabin and have a nap before going to the individual quiz – 16/20. Then it was time to get ready for the formal evening and the Peninsular Party. So – a lovely lazy day, although the sea has been a little bumpy today. It is forecast to be a little worse tonight but then not too bad to the Azores. 
 
Day 15 at sea
There is a little movement in the ship today and after a lovely sunny start – a few clouds have put paid to quoits and shuffleboard. I did the individual theme quiz (fashion) but lost on the tiebreak. I was later commiserated with as a man had seen the winner consulting with her husband but if it is that important for her to win then good luck to her.
Window cleaning on prom deck
The rest of the day has been extremely lazy. I was able to eat lunch outside, in a sheltered area around the Riviera Pool, then just reading etc until the Individual quiz at 5.30 – only 15 right today! It is casual tonight so will start to get ready soon.

Day 16 – at sea

It has been a lovely day. After the rain and choppy seas of yesterday, today has been blue skies and hot sun again, although there has been a strong (warm) wind across the open decks. I played shuffleboard this morning, but didn’t get far, then had lunch and went to watch the Oriana Regatta. Three men had made boats from salvaged materials around the ship.
 
I am not sure which one won though as I then went to play shuffleboard again this afternoon – and WON! I was partnered up with John and the whole final was very close indeed. It went to a tiebreak where each of us had one push. It was still a draw after the two men played, then the other woman got a 7 so it was all down to the final shot – mine! No pressure then !!  I managed an 8!
It is our penultimate formal night tonight so am in the cabin getting ready. The sun is just setting over our stern. It can stay like this till we get home please.
 Day 17 at sea
It is Friday 12 October and today was the Oriana Uncovered event, or rather The 175 Factor as it called this year. I was signing books on a table in the Deck 5 Atrium as part of this. It is quite amazing what some people expect you to know though! Still – a goodly number sold and some nice chats with other passengers. I managed to get the captain, purser and PSM to sign my personal copy of the book. The weather so far today has been cloudy and cool – well 72 degrees, which sure feels cool after the last week – so lots of people were indoors. Fortunately the sun is now coming out so I will probably go to shuffleboard this pm.  After shuffleboard I sunbathed on the stern deck for a couple of hours before going into the individual quiz. Then it was time to get ready for dinner (Smart). Three of us went to the Headliners show which was excellent – then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment