Saturday 3 May 2014

Photography

Yesterday I treated myself to a new camera!

OK - I probably didn't NEED one but what can I say? I love photography. I even have nightmares where I am going away but have left my camera at home! I do however need to weed out some of the equipment I no longer use.

For travelling I usually take my Nikon DSLR with two lenses as well as a small pocketable compact camera with zoom. For the last three years the latter has been a Panasonic Lumix TX19. However, this is now almost unusable due to dust on the sensor and I am not inclined to pay nearly half the cost of the camera to have it cleaned. Having said that, I have found a uTube video on how to do it myself so may give it a go sometime soon.

I also have a very small Canon Ixus 105 for slipping in an evening bag or similar, but I am not that enamoured of the pictures it takes.

So, after a big think, and the thought that I may soon start long-haul travelling, I went to look at replacements for the Lumix. So how did I end up with a compact system camera!!

Well, to be honest I totally fell in love with this camera the moment I held it. It is a Fujifilm X-E1. OK, I know the E2 is the later and better model but that was well outside my price range for a second camera.

The X-E1 felt like my lovely Konica S2 rangefinder camera that I learned much of my photographic skills with when I was growing up, only better as you can change the lenses and of course it is digital.

It has a solid quality feel with an excellent 18-55mm fast lens. Even better, Fuji are offering an additional free 50-300mm lens with this model. It also boasts an electronic viewfinder - probably not as good as an optical one but certainly better than cameras with only a screen. Reviews are good and I cannot wait to try it out properly.

I am hopeful that it may even replace my DSLR on some occasions. I just need to go back to refresh myself with photography basics now I have a shutter speed dial to play with!!  


So its first ship-related outing will probably be my visit to MV Voyager early next month. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Sharon: I'd be very interested to learn how you get on with the camera, and how the results look. I've been looking at mirror less cameras for a couple of years, but can't quite find one that's right. I did look at the Fiji X-1 Pro and the E1 when it came out but I wasn't buying then.

    ReplyDelete