Friday 21 February 2014

Oceana to Caribbean 2014 - final days


Monday 27 January – at sea

13°C

NW Force 5/6

A pretty lazy day – I  read out on the prom deck, well wrapped up in heavy winter coat now. After lunch in the Plaza I went down at 2pm to interview Fenella Fay, art consultant for the Cunard book. Then we browsed the shops but there was nothing new to buy. The captain came on to say the weather was deteriorating though and by tomorrow would be heavy seas again. Semi-formal night so changed and had cocktails before dinner, Crew Show and bed at 1pm as clocks went forward for last time.
 
Tuesday 28 January – At Sea
It started to get bouncy again last night and we had to ensure everything was well secured. We didn’t brave the Plaza, preferring breakfast in Café Jardin before going back to the cabin to pack a few more things and rest. It was getting worse and worse.
We had lunch in the Ligurian Restaurant as we didn’t want to go any higher in the ship. At one point there was a huge lurch/wave and crockery smashed all around us, Caryll and I getting wet from a water glass. I went to the art sale but nothing took my fancy and then back to the cabin until the talk between Nigel Travis CD and Captain Simon Terry. That lasted half an hour. There was a show by a Freddie Mercury tribute at 7pm so we changed and got ready and went back to Starlights before our final Gala Dinner and Baked Alaska parade. Pleased that the baked Alaska is now flambéed at the table too!


Several times we had to clutch at our food and glasses as the ship ploughed on through the heavy seas. On the next table a man in a white dinner jacket got soaked with red wine! Am thoroughly fed up with the heavy seas now as although not seasick it is hard work walking and even harder work packing!

Wednesday 29th – At Sea
Our final day – I cannot believe the cruise is nearly over after looking forward to it for so long. After a light breakfast in the Plaza – now just about manageable – we got our cases out from under the bed and started to pack properly. We attended the final Travelling Alone meet and had a light lunch – again in the Plaza – of a cheese roll. At teatime however we succumbed to afternoon tea in the restaurant – as it was our last day! I got all but one of my cases out before dinner. Final Syndicate Quiz – we were joint second. Then bed.

Thursday 30 January – Southampton

Despite the weather issues, we arrived on time. We had priority disembarkation so could leave whenever we liked. Caryll and I had breakfast separately and then met in the cabin at 8am to check everything and go to the Adriatic Restaurant - our disembarkation lounge until 9.30 when our cab was due. After a while we decided to disembark and wait for our car in the terminal. I was home by 1pm.

 

Summary

A great cruise, despite the awful weather at times. although not my favourite ship, I have always enjoyed my cruises on Oceana and would not hesitate to sail on her again given teh right itinerary and price.
Before I considered the Caribbean as a cruise destination, I always thought it "wasn't me". I am not a swimmer or beach person and thought every island would be the same as the next. Having been twice now, I am as amazed as anyone by how much I love it - the scenery, the wildlife, the relaxed chilled people (on the whole) and the very varied islands. I would happily return but there is still so much world I haven't seen at all yet, so - next on the horizon - a cruise to northern Norway in March in the hope of seeing the Aurora Borealis.

No comments:

Post a Comment