Friday 14 February 2014

Oceana to Caribbean 2014 - the crossing



Tuesday 7 Jan – At Sea

18°C
NW Force 6

Today we start the long Atlantic crossing along the Great Circle Route. I woke to the promise of a nice day although the night had been bouncy again.
Got up at 8.30 and breakfasted in Café Jardin. Then to the solo meet before Caryll went off to play quoits and I went to Oceana Uncovered.  I felt they had missed a trick not having my book on sale there but there you go! I did get several signatures in my copy of the book though.  I sat in the sun for a while before lunch - again in Café Jardin - soup and ploughmans - before finding a chair on the prom deck and sunbathing and reading all afternoon . The wind was chilly but the sun warm and I had a slightly scorched neck. Went to individual quiz and then to cabin to change for second formal night. We had pre-dinner cocktails in Tiffanys before dinner of Coq au vin. After dinner I went to the show – Maurice Grumbleweed and then to bed while Caryll did the quiz. And such became the routine of my days for the next week as we steadily made our way across the North Atlantic to the sun

Wed 8 Jan – At Sea

18°C
N Force 7

Another lazy day. I had another try at shuffleboard, this time reaching the semi-finals (with a good partner) but generally I am playing very badly this cruise! We had lunch outdoors for the first time before  I found a chair on the prom deck in the sun. When it clouded over I went to the cabin to redo my nails ready for the Baltic tier lunch tomorrow – there are four this cruise, plus the Ligurian and Caribbean ones. We did the individual quiz then back to the cabin to prepare for another semi-formal night. We had a cocktail in Magnums – my new favourite is a Mai Tai - then dinner. One of our table had managed to get us moved from a table in a pokey and draughty corner to one in the middle of the restaurant. After dinner we did the  Syndicate Quiz where we came second again. The clocks go back another hour tonight.

Thursday 9 Jan – At Sea

21°C
NE Force 4

Got up at 8.00 and had breakfast alone in Plaza as Caryll wanted to wash her hair. We met up for coffee where I stayed until 10.30. I then got ready for the Baltic Tier lunch as I had an interview with the Exec. Chef Trevor Connelly first at 11am for the next book. We chatted in Café Jardin over coffee for half an hour where he told me about his recent work modernising the menus.  Then I popped back to the cabin to type up my notes and then go to the Baltic Lunch – Salmon & crab starter, Potato Gnocchi, peanut butter dessert, champagne, wine and coffee.  We were on a table for 8 with Emma Jane Hodges, Passenger Services Manager. Conversation was lively and interesting. 

After a lazy afternoon digesting the delicious we changed and went to the prom deck  - me to snooze and Caryll to play quoits. The temperatures are increasing nicely but it was cloudy all day. We came in about 5pm for a proper nap before getting ready for another formal night. All this food and sea air makes me very tired! We skipped the quiz to watch the flautist, Jonathan Johnston, after dinner – he  was excellent.

Friday 10 Jan – At Sea

22°C
NE Force 3

Finally some real tropical weather – sun!  I managed to sunbathe, either on prom deck or Deck 12, all day - suitable lathered in factor 30 I might add! I know the risks and in any event do not want to burn.  At 4.30  I finally gave in and went to the medical centre about my increasingly painful knee since Madeira  – she diagnosed a sprain and gave me a bandage and ibuprofen to take for four days. Certainly the support made it feel better. I put it down to getting off the Hoho bus at Camara de Lobos where it was a particularly deep step down.
 

 Saturday 11 Jan – at sea 
26°C
NNE Force 3

Got up at 7.30 to get ready and have breakfast before my tour behind the scenes. We had to sign a waiver form and wear closed flat shoes and trousers. We started in the theatre, moving to the dressing rooms, forward mooring deck where we had a chat from the deputy captain. Next was the engine control room with the Chief Engineer, the stores manager where we entered the chill and frozen store rooms, the print room, waste disposal, photo lab (passing crew office), and galleys where the exec chef and F&B manager spoke with us. Then it was time for orange juice and chocolates/cakes/pastries in a corner of the dining room before making our way up to the bridge where the captain explained the electronic charts, navigation equipment and steering controls followed by champagne and canapés in his lounge.
Afterwards I went to change and sit in the sun for a bit. On my bed was a small badge, apron and letter offering a free photo all from the tour. I met up with Caryll and we had a late lunch al fresco. Then more sunbathing while Caryll played quoits. Changed for formal night – had cocktails in Tiffanys and then dinner before the syndicate quiz – not very good! Bed. Clocks go back another hour tonight.
 

Sunday 12 Jan – At Sea

25°C
E Force 5

Our last day at sea before Barbados.  I got up early to sit out on deck before it got too hot. Found a steamer chair on the prom and sat/dozed for two hours before Caryll found me. I went to have a late breakfast and then went up to Deck 12 where it was sunnier and sat and read. At around noon Caryll joined me and we headed for a light lunch in the Plaza, then back to the prom deck for some sunbathing.  I went to the individual quiz (17/20) before going back to the cabin for a nap and to change for dinner. It is our first casual night – thank heavens! We won the Syndicate Quiz (a bottle of P&O wine) then went bed as have to be up early tomorrow. Clocks go back our last hour tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment