Tuesday 18 February 2014

Oceana to Caribbean 2014 - Guadeloupe


Thursday 16 Jan – Guadeloupe – My Birthday!

25°C
E Force 3

I woke around 6am and Caryll gave me her card and present. I also opened the other cards I had brought with me. We arrived at Pointe a Pitre around 8am and were off the ship by 8.10 ready for our tour to Parc des Mamelles.
 
 
I was surprised how different this French Island appeared against the others on this cruise. Lots of run-down areas against modern newly-built parts and a rolling landscape similar to parts of western Europe - were it not for the pineapples and sugar cane in the fields - and of course the rain forest we were heading towards..

At the Parc we followed a one-way trail of wooden walkways, and a free-hanging bridge! Animals were in compounds but it wasn’t like a zoo and birds freely flew around the rainforest trees.  There were parrots, racoons, tortoises, turtles, iguanas etc.
 
 
 
 
Brown Trembler
At the entrance/exit I stood and photographed the hummingbirds feeding at a feeder there. I love watching the hummingbirds!
 
We all had a fruit punch and then drove to a waterfall – the Cascade des Ecrivisses. As we arrived there was a downpour, but we donned our rain jackets and walked the short distance to the falls. The rain amongst the leaves was very soothing.
 
 
Back in Pointe a Pitre, we walked around the colourful market by the ship where I bought a hand-carved wooden hummingbird for 8 Euros. Then we walked into town – but it very run down and I found the people a bit unfriendly, especially in comparison with our previous stops.  After the vegetable market etc we headed back to the ship.
 
 
 
There was an announcement from the captain (Andy Willard) just before departure that he would be leaving us tomorrow and Simon Terry taking over. He also officially announced the re-branding of P&O Cruises and the new livery of a painted Union flag on  the bow and blue funnels with gold logo.  Personally I'm not convinced by this new colour scheme and to me it looks very NCL. Might work on the new Britannia - but on Oriana?? Not the best birthday present!
After sailaway we went down to wash and change. We had cocktail in Tiffanys before going into dinner. The table was nicely decorated with balloons and my table mates kindly gave me a card and gift. And best of all the waiters sang happy birthday. After dinner we went to the Syndicate Quiz where everyone also sang Happy Birthday to me and we came joint second! Probably my best birthday ever - at least as an adult.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment