Sunday 3 June 2012

Jubilee weekend in ship spotter's heaven!

What a view this morning yesterday! I am staying with a friend in Hythe. Her flat is overlooking Southampton Water just east of Hythe Pier and I woke up at 4.30am to Independence of the Seas sailing past my window. This was soon followed by the sounds of foghorns in the distance and then Aurora, Azura and Grand Princess emerging through the mist in procession! I want to live HERE!

Independence of the Seas arriving at dawn

At 11am we had a book signing at Waterstones Above Bar. After that we went to meet someone at the new Sea City Maritime Museum.  This is a stunning new museum, although very Titanic orientated. I would have liked to see more about the role played by all the liners in the port. There was no mention of P&O, Union Castle, Cunard etc, despite the fact that most local familes had some links with the port over the years.

Azura emerging like a wraith from the fog

No comments:

Post a Comment