Sunday 21 October 2012


Day 5 at sea en route to Antigua

Now we are into proper cruising weather! The day dawned sunny and clear. By an hour later the sea was the deepest blue I have ever seen and the sky just a few shades lighter with puffs of cotton wool along the horizon. After breakfast outdoors I sat out for a while before heading up to the sun deck to play in the shuffleboard tournament. Uhmm – all I can say is we lost in the first round! Still – plenty more days to play yet. Then I pottered round the ship, set up two book signings over the course of the cruise and after a salad lunch have been sitting on the prom deck, firstly to catch the sun, but latterly in the shade as it was too hot! I am now sitting typing this on the teak tables aft on the prom deck. The new stern deck round the Terrace Pool is lovely with slightly higher sun beds and a bar but you need to get a spot early in the day. It should also be nice in the evenings when we get to the Caribbean .

 

Another lovely dinner, preceded by cabin canapés and the Peninsular Club half bottle of Lanson Champagne! Then went to listen to the classical guitarist in the Crows Nest before stepping out onto the stern deck for some air before bed. It is the most beautiful evening out – calm seas, a gently rippling wake visible in the moonlight and warm balmy air. Although I have done several northern-route crossings, it completely escaped my mind that we would similarly gain an hour a day on the way to the Caribbean – doh! Still, all this fresh air and heat has made me sleepy for bed.  More tomorrow I hope. 

PS: - another slight but welcome change is that at dinner we not only get butter pats but a small dish of olive tapenade or hummus etc. It is delicious on the bread rolls!
 

Day 6 at sea
The day dawned a bit cloudy with occasional showers, so after breakfast on deck I decided to go to the church service. Then, a lazy time reading in the sun before a late lunch and the shuffleboard competition. I must be getting better since I made the semi-finals before being knocked out.
 
Tonight is smart so I am sipping my Peninsular Champagne from last evening as I get ready in the cabin.


No comments:

Post a Comment