Saturday 1 June 2013

Oriana - Day 10 - Dubrovnik


Day 10 – Dubrovnik
I was up on the forward deck to watch us sail into beautiful Dubrovnik. It was very windy but not cold. There were two other ships in port with us – Grand Celebration (Ibercruceros) and Costa Magica. Splendour of the Seas arrived later and berthed behind us. The Costa ship left at midday and when the captain was asked where it was he replied – it probably sank! Three gangways were rigged as usual to get us ashore quickly. Verlhey directed me to a shuttle but when I climbed in there were no seats. She told the local guide off for miscounting! He said people were swapping buses and he couldn’t stop them!



With so many ships in port I was worried it would be packed in the old city. The shuttle took us to the Pile Gate and my fears were realised – it was heaving! However, most of the people there seemed to be getting on the shuttle back to the Costa Ship  - perhaps there was method is our arrival at around 11am, which one passenger was creating a fuss about! Once within the city walls it was fine – busy but not overly so.  
I walked – up the main street, past the monastery from where beautiful music was drifting out, the cathedral and other churches. When I got to the end I turned right and up some narrow streets to a huge flight of steps – took photo but baulked at climbing! So I turned left towards the old port.
It was still very windy as I walked along the quayside to the other gate and back into the old city. I had considered climbing the walls but they looked steep and the sun was beating down so changed my mind. I found a small café for an open sandwich (local cheese, tomato and olives on sesame bread). There was some lovely jewellery in the shops but I managed to keep my purse inside my bag! By now I was very hot so I got the shuttle back to ship and sunbathed all afternoon. I also noticed a tea trolley going round the prom deck. I’ve only see that before on Cunard! 

We lost an hour tonight and I wanted to get ready for Corfu so retired after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment