Saturday 1 June 2013

Oriana - Day 11 - Corfu



Day 11 – Corfu

It was a beautiful morning as we approached Corfu. I was the only person on deck and it was silent as we quietly approached the port. There were four other ships arriving here – Ruby Princess, MSC Armonia, Splendour of the Seas and Norwegian Jade, the latter two going to anchor.
Norovirus has increased so we are back on the buffet being served. I don’t know how! We were under 48 hour quarantine when we left and have been gelled on and OFF the ship and nearly every announcement from the captain has emphasised the importance of going straight to our cabins when we get back on board to wash our hands thoroughly.
After breakfast I walked to the terminal to get the shuttle into the old town. I don’t know what I was expecting but it was very like the Plaka in Athens. I think I thought it would be more like Rhodes. When I got off the shuttle and crossed over the road I was immediately inside a picturesque area of narrow flagged streets lined with shops selling gold jewellery, natural sponges, local liqueurs and icons. Reached the church of St Spyridon where some sort of special service was going on. I started to go in but a service seemed to be in progress and I felt I was wearing the wrong clothes (a vest top) so after a peek through the door, I left after lighting a candle in the outdoor shrine.

Carried on walking and bought a crispy sesame and honey bun which I sat and ate in a small park. By now I was very hot again so caught the shuttle back for lunch of a sandwich and to sit in the sun / shade alternating. We were half an hour late sailing as a tour was delayed. Then stayed on the prom deck again in the late afternoon sun as we sailed through the Ionian Sea – perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment