Saturday 1 June 2013

Oriana - Day 9 - Venice


Day 9 – Venice
I wanted to watch the wonderful sail into Venice so got up at 5.30am! Although a chilly wind, the sky was a cloudless blue. The sail into this city must be one of the, if not the, best in the world. We slowly made our way up the Guidecca Canal behind Norwegian Jade and followed by MSC Divinia. Splendour of the Seas was already in port. Because I was on an early walking tour I packed ready to go and didn’t return to my cabin at all, grabbing a croissant while watching us sail in.

I picked up my sticker from the tour desk and waited for the announcements. We were to board a launnch from Oriana’s tendering pontoon. Finally the order came – we had been delayed due to Divinia’s use of her thrusters rocking Oriana and delaying the airbridge attachment. It was now hot and sunny as we boarded the launch and travelled the 15 mins or so to the start of our walking tour, close to the railway station and the end of the Grand Canal. We had to disembark through another boat and over a narrow gangway which wasn’t much fun! In fact I thought it quite funny. I was at the head of the queue to board the local shuttle boat and we were held up slightly while they got out a different gangplank onto the Venetian boat and then insisted on mounting a handrail for people and then at the other end we have to balance on this narrow plank!

We then set off down tiny alleys only wide enough for two people, into stunning squares or campos (fields) past baroque churches and medieval palaces. Through the fish and vegetable market (strawberries to die for), over tiny bridges with gondolas and their gondoliers touting for business, over the Rialto Bridge ending up at a café for coffee and biscuits. It was all magical and I had forgotten quite how stunning Venice is in the ten years since I had been here.

Because we were off the beaten track it wasn’t too busy and it was a shock to finally arrive close to St Marks Square and see the crowds. I had intended to stay behind and wander on my own, catching the shuttle boat back but my feet ached now so I stayed with the group as we caught a large launch back to the cruise berths.

Got some good photos of three of the four ships – for MSC and Splendour it was a turnaround port so they were storing. After a quick snack I changed and headed for a chair in the sun – it was glorious. Around 3,30 I went back down and put on something warmer before getting my free sailaway champagne and going back up to the forward observation deck for our departure. After listening to the muster drill instructions in four or five languages on the other three ships!! we set off. Once again we had to use tugs – it’s the rule in Venice while in the canal. We had to back out of the berth and swing behind Divina and retrace our sail in of the morning – past the entrance to the Grand Canal, past St Mark’s and the Doges Palace – once again – it was magical on a beautiful afternoon.

I am so glad I did this cruise this year as from 2014, cruise ships will no longer be able to sail to the city using this route we were told due to the damage it is causing to Venice. Afterwards I just sat in the sun as it was too good to go indoors. Then showered and changed for a casual night.

No comments:

Post a Comment