Wednesday 14 October 2015

Arcadia cruise to Adriatic 2015 - part 1


Saturday 19 September 2015

As this was my first long drive following my right knee replacement, I opted to go the day before and take it slowly, stopping if needed. In fact it was not too bad and I only had two stops, before arriving at my friend's flat. She completed her packing and I read and relaxed.
 

Sunday 20 September  

Woke after excellent sleep to find thick fog masking all signs of the arrival of QM2 and Arcadia! Got up around 8.30 and we had breakfast. The taxi arrived to collect us at 11am and we arrived at the new Mayflower terminal by 11.45. With two ships in and being the last day of the Southampton Boat Show this was pretty good. Because of my recent knee replacement I had booked assisted boarding. This worked like a dream. We had a short wait in the allocated area before a man with clipboard took my name and called over a man with a wheelchair for me. There were special low-level check in desks and we were soon photographed and had our boarding cards. Then I was wheeled through security, patted down and wheeled on board to the Meridian restaurant for our Baltic-level Peninsular lunch. Buffet food and four glasses of champagne later we went to reception to collect another daily programme by which time the cabins were ready. We had a standard outside obstructed view. Twin beds with two-drawer bedside tables, tiny corner cupboard and wardrobes. Not the best storage and no useful drawers at all! Fortunately the empty cases fitted under my bed. All our luggage was waiting for us so we unpacked and went to muster drill. Our station was the Piano Bar – first issue – they were all very low deep seats and I was unable to get up without assistance! Then we went to Deck 10 to watch us leave. By the time we reached Calshot it was getting cold so I came in for a shower and change. Went to the art gallery for more free champagne then dinner- table 66 for eight, two couples and us, two missing. Had and enjoyable dinner of chicken liver parfait and vegetables in tempura with dip.

Watched the Welcome Show then went to bed as clocks go forward one hour tonight.
 

 

 
Monday 21 September – at sea

Weather overcast, westerly Force 5, 16°C, slight seas

Got up at 9am and had breakfast in The Belvedere buffet. It was a little bumpy but not too uncomfortable. Then I had to pop up to the spa as my nail gel was coming off! There were lots of people at the solos meet, including a couple I knew from previous cruises. Then there was time to browse the shops, have a coffee and go back to the Spa for a manicure. I met up with my friend for lunch, then had a short nap before our pre-arranged meet-up with friends from Cruise Critic and Facebook. We had a good chat for over an hour before going to cabin to change for first formal night. We all shook hands with Captain Trevor Lane. I have not met him before and have to confess he was the most invisible captain ever! Few if any announcements and never seen around ship. We had two glasses of champagne, listened to the speeches then went to say hello to the Chief Engineer whom I knew from Artemis and the Hotel General Manager I knew from the P&O 175 book. They were off to celebrate the Deputy Captain’s fiftieth birthday. This all made us late to dinner and the Marco Pierre White Gala Menu of asparagus, lobster and poached strawberries. Our missing companions turned up tonight – another couple. Syndicate Quiz, then bed.

Tuesday 22 September - at sea

Weather overcast, northerly Force 4, 16°C, slight seas
 
Woke late again, and had a very lazy day. I bought Skagen watch to replace my much-loved but broken one. Met up with my friend in the Belvedere for lunch then as the sun came out, sat on the promenade deck.
 
 
There were lots of dolphins to watch for as we sailed off the coast of Portugal. I also spotted as ex Isle of Wight ferry! This had been sold to a Sardinian ferry company and refitted at Hythe. It left there on Thursday 17 September and we wondered if we would see her.
 
 
Later it was time for a pre-dinner Manhattan cocktail, followed by dinner. The husband of our missing dining companions popped in to say they had switched to first sitting so wouldn’t be back. Came second in Syndicate Quiz, bed.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today.  Central Europe Private Tour

    ReplyDelete