Sunday 18 October 2015

Arcadia cruise to Adriatic 2015 - part 5


Sunday 27 September - Corfu.

Weather 7/8 cloud, westerly Force 3, 22.5°C

It was a glorious morning as we arrived at Corfu so we had breakfast outdoors.
As we took photos, we spotted Chief Engineer Paul and had a short chat – asking why Arcadia had not yet received the new P&O livery. Apparently this will start on her long Caribbean cruise in November. Then we set off ashore via the free shuttle bus to the port entrance and then another bus to the old town.


 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The cloud was clearing as we wandered the narrow old and steep streets, stopping off in shops that took our fancy. I tried on a fabulous green amethyst ring but was not going to spend £1000 on it! S well as retail therapy, we looked in on any churches we passed. I love the richness and age of Greek Orthodox churches and St Spyridon's was stunning, with an altar of candles outside.

 
 
 





 
We paused for a cold drink just as a short shower came down! It soon stopped however and blue sky returned as we set off again. I did buy an unusual blue linen dress and a cheap but pretty religious pendant.
 
By 4pm I was worn out so headed back to the shuttle stop. Then came a big problem! The first two buses had very steep and overlapping entrance steps and no grab rails to assist. I just couldn’t get up them. I had seen a smaller bus with shallow steps so said I would wait for that to return but eventually they put me in the wheelchair minibus instead – phew!
 
Back in the cabin I had a shower and a nap until Caryll arrived back. We took our Peninsular Club free champagne to East bar where they gave us glasses and we sat outside it on Deck 11 taking photos etc. A medevac delayed our departure and we stayed until we passed Albania before going in to change for dinner. Then for me it was to bed as legs ached and very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment