Saturday 7 September 2013

Nautica - 18th August 2013 Invergordon


 
We were not arriving until 12 noon so had a leisurely breakfast and then went to the Stitch & Chat. Oceania provide free needlepoint kits to make small items such as a spectacle case or bag. If you complete one during the cruise you can choose another. By 10.30 we thought it time to grab a bite to eat as Nigel, our private tour guide, wanted us to be off the ship as soon as possible – in fact we (my friend and I and a US couple) were first off! We waited a short time for two American ladies and then set off in Nigel’s people-carrier towards Dunrobin Castle.
Low cloud forms rainbow over Invergordon

Dunrobin Castle
Once there (amid a vintage car rally), Nigel spoke with Lord Strathnaver, who directed us round the back into the private grounds. We walked through a tiny gate into the area where the falcons and hawks were kept, guarded at the entrance by a beautiful, huge owl sitting on a flower pot!
My friend and I wandered through the stunning grounds for around 40 mins before meeting everyone back at the falconry area. Alan, the falconer, then flew a falcon, peregrine and Bonsai the owl. At one point he gave me a glove and Bonsai landed on my hand as I fed him with the other – he was incredibly gentle as he nibbled over my palm looking for food. The speed of the falcons was amazing, even in the gusty strong wind. An hour later we went up to the main castle and toured through 21 of its many rooms.


At 3.45 we set off back towards the ship, driving along Loch Fleet in the hope of seeing seals (all on the opposite bank). We did see an osprey nest, swans, cormorants etc and then stopped at Millionaire’s Viewpoint. Back in Invergordon we were driven through the town and back to the pier.


We were on board just in time to watch a show of Scottish song and dance put on my locals in the Nautica Lounge. At 7.30 we also had a marching pipe band to send us on our way towards Lerwick.  By then it was 8pm so we decided to eat dinner in the Terrace Café. I have always said I would not eat dinner in the buffet restaurants but on Nautica it was more akin to a proper dining room, serving the same dishes in fact. I had vol-au-vent, breaded Camembert with cranberry, vegetable curry with rice and passion fruit meringue. Yum!  

No comments:

Post a Comment