Tuesday 24 September 2013

The next three months

In several of my previous posts I have mentioned cutting short excursions due my foot hurting. the pain was being caused by a Morton's Neuroma and yesterday I had an operation to excise this and to straighten a toe that had contracted, I thought, because of it, but the surgeon didn't see the link.

So - I have been banned from travel for three whole months !!  Ok, not a long time I know, and since my next cruise should be in January, the timescale should work out just fine, barring any complications of course.

I thought therefore that in the meantime I may as well blog on my foot progress - although not in detail in case readers are squeamish.

I am one day post-op. There is a pin sticking out of the straightened toe which will stay in place for six weeks. This means I have to wear a surgical sandal for that period. The pain is less than I thought it might be which is great. We'll see if it remains that way when I have to get the dressings changed tomorrow though. At the moment all I can see is the tip of two toes under dressings and a crepe bandage!


Today was also the day P&O Cruises announced the name of the new ship to be launched in 2105. Britannia - not a well-known name linked with P&O, but it was first used by them in 1887 for the name of one of the four Jubilee ships, sister to Victoria, Arcadia and Oceana. Britannia (1) was 6,525 tons and carried 250 first class and 160 second class passengers on the Australian run - a far cry form the new ship which will be 141,000 tons and carry 4372 passengers! 

Britannia 1885-1909
 
Britannia 2015


 


No comments:

Post a Comment