Tuesday 17 September 2013

Nautica - 20th August 2013 Alesund, Norway


We arrived early and I rushed up on deck to watch us berth. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ship docked so fast – we appeared to race up towards the berth and then dead slow and we were there. I have to say the berthing and departures were all very sleek, swift and timely throughout the cruise. We never saw a queue to get off the ship – it was all efficient and quick.
 
This would be my second visit to Alesund and since we were doing our own thing (all planned weeks before) we had breakfast and then gathered up maps etc from the Tourist person on board (a Tourist Board representative came on board Nautica at every port). Alesund is an attractive town. It suffered a devastating fire in 1904 so the whole centre was rebuilt in Art Nouveau style. While some of these buildings have since been demolished, the remaining ones are now protected. This gives a rare harmonious quality to the architecture.
 
Our plan was to take the HoHo Bus – 200 NK – to the Sunnmore Museum. We did the full round trip first – the views from the high mountain viewpoint at Aksla were fabulous – then went round again as far as Sunnmore Open Air Museum. 



Here were lots of turf-roofed old Norwegian buildings of various periods. We had coffee and apple cake in the museum restaurant (at an extremely reasonable price for Norway!) and then went back to wait for HoHo bus.  We just missed one while I waited for my friend to walk to the church and back. As we went back up to Aksla I saw that while we were gone, Adventure of the Seas had arrived!
We got off in town and wandered the shops but they were now heaving with the RCCI passengers. I bought two glass Xmas ornaments – wise men but they only had two - there again they were at sale price. After a little more wandering and sightseeing, my foot and knee were really hurting so I went back to the ship and left my friend ashore.  Went to the cabin and changed and got up to Horizons just in time for afternoon tea - uhmmm, good timing or what!  Then back to cabin for a rest and ice on my foot until Caryll arrived. We sorted ourselves out and managed to get to the Grand Bar in time for a quick cocktail of the Day (Harvey Wallbanger for $5) and dinner at 7pm. We were seated on a table for 8 with two couples from Wisconsin and another couple. It was a good table with interesting conversation. I chose a pate (which actually turned out to be what I would call a terrine) and lobster thermidor.
At 8.05 we felt the engines power up and saw Nautica edging out from the quayside and swinging 180 degrees to sail back down the fjord. We were soon followed by Adventure of the Seas. As soon as I finished my ice cream I rushed out onto the promenade deck to try and take a photo of Adventure all lit up. 
Adventure of the Seas leaving Alesund
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment