Sunday 25 December 2011

Cruising to the Holy Land.... 1

I realise a blog is supposed to be ongoing, but I thought I would start by adding an account of my recent cruise (end of Novemeber till mid December) on Oceana to the Eastern Mediterranean. Whilst Oceana is not my favourite ship, I do like here and she is ideal for cruising to sunny climes as she has a lot of open deck space.

So...Day 1

I was all packed and ready to set off at 8.30 and then had a momentary panic as the car would not start. This had never happened before!  I can only imagine it was because it hadn’t been used for four days and the weather was cold and damp. Anyway, after a brief stop just before Salisbury, I arrived at the Ocean Terminal in Southampton about 11.30. Everything was taken care of efficiently and as soon as check-in opened at 12 noon, I was through. Our passports were kept for Egyptian & Israeli immigration and receipts issued. Then after taking my shoes and coat off to go through security, I was on board. The priority embarkation lounge was the Yacht & Compass where we had free drinks and sandwiches. Three glasses of champagne later, I headed off for a wander before it was announced the cabins were ready. D718 is reasonably spacious with plentiful storage for one. It was squarer than my usual cabins. My cases were all waiting for me so I was unpacking when I noticed my dining table allocation – first sitting, table for 2!  This couldn't be right! Shortly afterwards my cabin steward came to introduce himself.  Then an announcement that all the dining allocations were wrong!  Stupidly I waited a half-hour or so before going down to join what was by then a very long queue. I then spotted Jo Haxby (from Artemis) who was dealing with a much shorter queue so popped down to that one ! Then to muster drill, and out to the prom. deck for sailaway and more champagne. Although cloudy, it was mild and dry so I stood on deck for a while until Oceana passed Hythe before going indoors to finish the unpacking and have a rest.

Later I changed and went to try out Tiffany’s and the Yacht & Compass. The live band, Serendipity, were very good. Then it was dinner. After the mix-up I was wary of what I was going to end up with, but the six other ladiesand one gentleman (all travelling alone) were great fun .
coming next...... how we gained notoriety

No comments:

Post a Comment