Monday 26 December 2011

Oceana Day 8 - Malta

Monday 28 November – Malta
This is one of the new posts substituted for Alexandria as we are no longer calling at Egypt due to the unrest there. As it is my first time in Valletta, I got up early as I wanted to watch the sail into the Grand Harbour, although annoyingly the observation deck was closed. The dawn light on the golden-stoned buildings was beautiful.


Swan Hellenic's Minerva was already in port and, as she left mid-afternoon, I guess had been there all night.



After a quick breakfast, I set off to walk up to Valletta and explore. It was fascinating, walking up the main road and then the steps past the cat feeding station.  The old town is ladi out on a grid pattern so it was easy to find one's way around. I made sure I was at the Saluting Battery for the noonday gun and had a latte and honey ring in the outdoor cafe there, watched all the time by a beautiful young ginger cat.



 I then wandered down Republic and Merchant Streets, into the Co-Cathedral which was stunning. The free audio guides there were extrememly useful too. By 2pm I was very tired and my knees not good, probably due to the up and down nature of all the roads, so I headed back to the ship, photographing it and Minerva on the way. After a veg burger in the Horizon Grill, I sat on deck most of the afternoon, watching the seaplane take off and land with sightseers. We sailed at sunset and once again the evening light on the buildings round the harbour was stunning.



No comments:

Post a Comment