Monday 26 December 2011

Oceana Day 11 - at sea

Thursday 1 December 2011 at sea en route to Limmasol

Tomorrow will be the half-way point of this cruise. It has been the most glorious day. I have been on deck virtually from sunrise to sunset as we had cloudless blue skies, hot sun and glassy water as we dawdle along at 12 knots or so from Turkey to Cyprus. I saw some dolphins mid-morning and around lunchtime there was a pod of about twenty. I swear they spot cruise ships and put on a show specially – at one point it was like the Red Arrows as two swam towards each other and leap in unison in opposite directions, passing each other in mid-air - magic!


By the afternoon is was too hot for me in the sun and I found a reclining chair on the stern. The new Italian Deputy Captain nearly went flying as he inspected some varnishing being done and fell over two sunbeds! It is a Formal Night tonight and according to the Horizon, B&W night, but in the Cruise Overview that is supposed to be on the 9th, so I am guessing many might be confused. On the whole the dress code has been well-supported, but the new terminology of Black Tie, Smart and Evening Casual has led to some assuming it to be formal, casual and wear-what-you-like! Tonight I saw two middle-aged ladies in white crop trousers and glittery t-shirts! Oh well – perhaps it’s me !!

It was a fun evening, as some of us solos got together for drinks in the Yacht & Compass before dinner of partridge. Then Jenny, Caroline and myself went to the ball – total absence of entertainment officers again and Caroline and I got told off for overtaking in the barn dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment