Wednesday 28 December 2011

Oceana Day 17 - Katakolon

Wednesday 7 December – Katakolon

There was a big storm in the night. The ship was moving a fair bit and, being in an inside cabin I left the bridge cam on all night. I was woken up at around 2am by a flash in the cabin, and realised they were flashes of lightning. We arrived in Katakolon at 8am. It is still warmish but there are intermittent showers today. About two hours after we berthed, MSC Spendido arrived so the traders are happy.

There is very little here if you don’t do the tours to Olympia, but after the port overload of the last few days, that suits me just fine. I browsed the shops (buying a lovely red coral and silver pendant with olive leaves – the symbol of Olympia), had a coffee on the harbourside, watched the fishing boats and tried to extricate myself from a very persistent tabby kitten that took a flying leap onto my bag and proceeded to climb up the front of my sweatshirt until he was able to rub his face under my chin! He/she was so adorable, but a cuddle had to be enough.

 It then poured with rain briefly so I am back in the cabin to dry out and change. I had a light lunch in the Plaza (picking up some fishy sticks in a napkin) before going ashore again.

Wandered ashore again, armed with cat food, but the rain had sent them all scurrying for shelter. I just looked through the shops again and then returned to the ship. Took some photos of the anchors down for repainting and then back on board, of the MSC Splendido. Sailaway was good as many of the passengers from the Spendido were whistling and shouting and waving towels etc from that ship as we backed past them and turned slightly to proceed to sea.


It was a semi-formal evening but I really didn’t feel like eating anything. I went to the early Headliners show and then had a fan of melon and some fish. Most of us then went to see singer Peter Cutler – I didn’t realise he came from my home town! Then to bed, although my bad throat kept me awake much of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment