Sunday 5 May 2013

Oriana - Day 14 - Izmir


Day 14 – Izmir

It was a misty cold morning as we docked at Izmir. It was fun to see the linesmen had some extra held in getting the feeder line ashore as a dog excitedly grabbed the line and wouldn’t let go!
We were all going ashore together as only Caryll had been before. I hadn’t realised quite what a trek it was to the centre – no shuttles here – and by the time we got anywhere remotely interesting my foot was really hurting. We wandered up a side street with small shops to the very nice 1901 clock tower in a large square just off the seafront.
Joyce and I decided then to pick up the HoHo bus but we couldn’t find the actual stop anywhere, despite having one of their maps so we got a taxi back to the port while Caryll continued exploring. As soon as were got back to the ship I got on the HoHo bus for a one hour tour right around Izmir and up to the Roman Agora. I
 have to say I do not like Izmir very much and cannot see much to attract the tourist. It is good in that it is a proper Turkish city so you see the real Turkey but I couldn’t find much to interest me.

No comments:

Post a Comment