Monday 6 May 2013

Discovery Day 7


Day 7 – Cobh

Next morning we switched on the bridge cam (our deadlights have been closed over our portholes for days now) to see us still moored in Cobh!  It was great that Peter (Thailand Two) was giving us weather updates via text as we had no information on board other than announcements. We finally left at 8.30am due in Avonmouth at midnight so luggage to be out before midnight. Once again, full information wasn’t prepared before the tannoy announcements which left passengers confused as to what they should do. We asked at Reception when we would disembark and were told Friday am. Someone else put the same question just after us, to a different person at reception and was told as soon as we dock you will be disembarked – at 1.30am ?? This put elderly people in a total panic as to how to get a taxi at that time, or let relatives know.
 


So, we had our second sea day and a bumpy one it was too, although the sun made another rare appearance and Discovery was amazingly stable.  Although when I sat in the stern lounge I could see the horizon go from above the ceiling to below the deck, at no point did it feel that uncomfortable.

A new programme of activities was arranged – but the printed version didn’t reach us until midday, despite asking at reception twice.

I fully accept the weather was beyond anyone’s control and we had to stay in Cobh. It was how that was handled I wasn’t so happy with. I was supposed to be at work Friday so needed to tell people. I also had other urgent things I needed to deal with so I asked if, in the event, I could have free internet access or just purchase half an hour (the minimum purchase was 2 hours) – No. The suggestion was that I went ashore to find free wifi – in that weather??

 

No comments:

Post a Comment