Sunday 5 May 2013

Oriana - Days 18-19 At sea


Day 18 – at sea   New Year's Eve
Finally – a blissful day at sea. Even better – a day warm enough (just) and sunny enough to laze on deck on a steamer chair most of the morning. The upper decks were closed due to high winds so no quoits for Caryll or shuffleboard for me so I went to the solo meet to say hello to everyone since it was five days since the last one.



By about 12.30 I had to leave Joyce to it and go in for an early lunch before getting ready for a book signing session with the Captain later in the afternoon. This was for the P&O 175 book – on this the last day of P&O Cruises’ celebratory year.



After that we all grabbed a bite of tea (I know – more food! The Exec Chef has a lot to answer for!) before a nap and preparing for the big night. Our table was all meeting in one of our group’s cabin for a small party prior to dinner. Two bottles of champagne later we trouped down for dinner – a sumptuous seven courses, although I stuck to haggis starter, champagne sorbet, venison, cranachan, coffee, whisky fudge and chocolate truffles!!  The haggis was duly addressed, after a procession headed by the captain holding two large bottles of whisky.
After dinner we dropped into the cabin to regroup. I think I am getting obsessed but once again the cabin steward had not replenished our toilet roll supply and we had about one quarter of one roll between the three of us! Another trip to reception! Then to the parties – we started in Harlequins where there was a ceildah – I looovvvee the Gay Gordon and waltz which I think I could just about have managed – but sadly once again – no one to dance with. The dance instructor was dancing with a couple of ladies but wasn’t looking round to see if anyone else wished to get up, so we moved to the Pacific Lounge for the big countdown! It was a big party atmosphere and great fun. At midnight we all held hands and sang Auld Lang Syne and raised our glasses to 2013. It was about 1.30am when we called it a day and went to bed!
New Year's Day 

A very lazy day!  Since we only went to bed properly at about 2.30am, we didn't wake till 9.30 this morning! I had a hasty breakfast as I wanted to play shuffleboard - where I did much better than previously but only reached round 2. Two of us had lunch together and then sat out in the sun on the prom deck. I can't believe we actually sat outdoors in the sun on New Year's Day.
 
After another game of shuffleboard (same result as the morning), I went to the crew talent show. This was excellent as usual and it would not be fair to single anyone in particular as they were all so good. The prom deck called again for an hour or so, after which time I finally gave in and went to the medical centre about my ankle. It seems that when I tripped in Malaga - it seems forever ago now - I sprained and slightly tore my Achilles tendon. If I had gone sooner, the treatment would have been rest and anti-inflammatories, but since I left it so long, I have an ankle splint and exercises to do. At least I might be able to walk better round our final ports of Cadiz and Lisbon tomorrow and the next day. I cannot believe the cruise is nearly over, although in some ways it feels we have been on board forever.



It was Chocoholics this pm, now called an "Enhanced Chocolate Afternoon Tea" and held in The Conservatory. This is nothing to do with our NV precautions, as it was same on my last cruise on Oriana in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment