Friday 31 May 2013

Oriana - Days 7-8 - Korcula


Day 7 – at sea
It was a disappointing grey and cloudy day so lazed around for much of it! At the 6pm daily report from the captain, he implied that the weather forecast for tomorrow might mean no tendering at Korcula!  It was a formal night and the Peninsular Party so showered, washed hair and dressed for it. I chatted to the Front of House Manager at the party, whom I knew from a couple of cruises back. Also spoke with the captain and asked him whether he had the Oriana & Aurora book – he said to show it to him when we had coffee.

Day 8 – Korcula
I got up around 6.45 to watch us sail up to Korcola in Croatia. Despite the captain’s veiled warnings that it would be very windy (and therefore we may not be able to tender), it was OK, although grey and misty. I had breakfast and got tender ticket no 7 as I was not on any tour and planned to explore on my own. It was not long to wait before we were called and I walked down to Deck 3 to the tender pontoons. After a short run ashore, I walked up to the old walls and into the old city.

Korcula is much like a miniature Dubrovnik, with marble flagstones, many towers and Venetian style architecture. Outside the ancient town walls, the town is still very attractive with a waterfront and tiny pebbly beach.

 By now the sun was out and it was bright and warm so after an hour or so I found a small bar/cafe and had a lovely cold beer for 2 euros. Then visited a museum of icons, three or four churches, wandered up and down the narrow streets and took lots of photos. There were dozens of jewellery shops Alghero selling coral and turquoise as in Alghero in Sardinia. Finally around 1pm I caught the tender back to the ship and had a quick lunch on deck in the sun.

I then changed and sat on the sun deck all afternoon. We sailed at 3.15pm for Venice so it will be a very early start for me tomorrow as I want to be on deck for the sail in.

No comments:

Post a Comment