Wednesday 29 May 2013

Oriana - Day 6 - Palermo & Cefalu


Day 6 – Palermo
We arrived at Palermo about 9am  to rain but it was 10am or so before the three gangways were rigged and we could go ashore. I was on a tour to Cefalu as i had been told Palermo was a bit tatty.

It was an hour’s drive through the dilapidated but interesting city before we reached beautiful Cefalu. This was a lovely medieval city. The cathedral has stunning Byzantine mosaics of Christ Pantocrater. After a tour around the Cathedral we walked to the medieval wash house and then had an hour free time. I headed down to see the harbour and buy a gelato – pistachio and hazelnut! Then wandered up and down the narrow side streets. By now the sun had come out and it was very hot indeed – I regretted wearing crop jeans!
 

At 3pm it was time to walk back to the coach which had to park outside the old city. Then the drive back. Back on board I was gasping for a drink but my card wouldn’t work so I trekked back down to reception for a new one! Then there was an announcement about a surprise Italian coastguard inspection which required a full crew muster and lifeboat to be lowered so – no drink, but the opportunity to take some more photos for the  book. At 6pm all the ships in the harbour sounded their whistles as a salute to the nine people killed a couple of weeks ago when a container ship crashed into a control tower at Genoa. After we finally sailed I showered and dressed for casual night and finally got my drink! After dinner went to the Kenny Rodgers Tribute Act.

No comments:

Post a Comment